Thursday, July 30, 2009

Everything has to have a beginning...

Few things are as intimidating to an artist or author as a blank page. Don't get me wrong, it is thrilling to look at an empty canvass and think of all the wonderful possibilities ahead but that first brush stroke is the second hardest (The hardest stroke is obviously the last one because you have to make the decision that something is completed). I've been staring at a blank computer screen for a while now and feel the same sense of hesitation I do when I create anything. There is usually doubt initially. Maybe fear. It is like the small pit in my stomach I may get just before I give a presentation to a crowded room.

The sense of hesitation to create something is a feeling I have come to accept and even love. It is the sense of pain philosophers describe as necessary to experience pleasure. I feel like it is a notification of reaching the tipping point (which is also the title of an excellent book by Malcolm Gladwell and an equally good album by The Roots). The tipping point is that point in creation where like a roller coaster reaching the apex of its ascension you are filled with the most potential energy. Soon I will be gliding effortlessly through creative expression and public communication through this blog but for now it is all potential.

You may be asking "So what will RBfS be about?". I think I'll leave that unanswered for now, suffice it to say this will be like any other blog, a place for me to communicate my ideas in a public and hopefully interactive forum. I welcome feedback and envision this one day as a place where people can freely share their thoughts and opinions on topics of interest.

Thanks for reading,
DC

No comments:

Post a Comment